A chocolate cake, covered with a light layer of the best quality apricot jam, with a covering of dark chocolate icing. A portion of unsweetened whipped cream accompanying the cake makes it even more delicious!
What is the story of this beloved cake?
On July 9, 1832, sixteen-year-old Franz Sacher , due to the sudden illness of the chef, made this dessert for an official lunch by Chancellor Klemens von Metternich, who was immediately stunned. Where was it invented? In the current Hotel Sacher in Vienna, of course!
Here are some interesting facts about the most famous cake in the world:
– the original recipe includes 18 egg whites and 14 egg yolks ;
– the cake must be served at a temperature of 16-18 degrees ;
– the original recipe is protected by a trademark and there are no licenses for reselling this product in the world;
– Hotel Sacher produces 270,000 pieces a year ;
– can also be enjoyed at the Hotel Sacher in Salzburg, the Café Sacher in Innsbruck and Graz;
– the only place where it can be found outside Austria is in the Sacher Shop in Bolzano ;
– it is among the most copied desserts in the world;
– you can order it online directly on the site: https://shop.sacher.com/original-sacher-torte